While a little time consuming, vegan croissants fresh from the oven are well worth the effort. I’ve had the most consistent results with this recipe in warmer weather, so do try it this summer.
Recipe : Vegan Croissants
- 4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 6 1/4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 12 Ttablespoon vegan shortening
- 1/3 cup agave nectar
- some extra flour for rolling out dough
- Combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Add the water and knead for 10 minutes. Dust with flour, cover with tea towel and let rise for 2 hours.
- In the meantime, roll out shortening into a thin layer between 2 pieces of waxed paper, parchment or plastic wrap. Refrigerate.
- After dough has risen, punch down and roll out. Peel cold shortening off paper and place in middle of rolled out dough. Fold dough in and over. Roll flat, fold up, wrap and refrigerate.
- After 30 minutes, remove dough, unwrap, roll, fold, wrap, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Repeat step 4.
- Finally, preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove dough from refrigerator, cut in half and roll out dough on floured work surface to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into wedges and roll from the broad end to the small end, twisting tightly. Repeat with other half. Place rolled croissants on parchment covered baking sheet, cover with tea towel and allow to rise 45 minutes. Then brush with agave nectar and bake at 400 for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
*For chocolate croissants, place a square of chocolate on dough before rolling.